Cyber Security Analyst
Vanguard 2.2.1 Position Description
This position is within the Vanguard 2.2.1 program’s Information Assurance Service Line, supporting assessment and authorization (A&A) of the Department of State’s (DOS) major applications. This position will require significant interaction with the DOS and contractor staff and with the DOS Information Assurance (IA) office. The work location is in the Washington, D.C. Metropolitan area but may require CONUS travel for short trips.
Description of Duties:
• Leading large/complex security assessments of customer systems, services, and programs.
• Supporting and interacting with customers, at the highest levels, as well as providing oversight to less experienced staff.
• Analyzing customer processes and configurations to verify that previously identified flaws have been corrected, and document the results.
• Developing approaches for industry-specific threat analyses, application-specific penetration tests, and the generation of vulnerability reports.
• Developing detailed remediation reports and recommendations for compliance and security improvements across industries based on changing threats.
• Develop and update a consistent approach to information security programs and adherence with best practices.
• Bachelor’s degree in a related field, or equivalent; and 4+ years related experience.
• Experience assessing Federal information systems’ compliance with the Federal Information Security Management Act (FISMA). Specifically, conducting independent security control assessments in accordance with NIST SP 800-53, 800-53A, CNSSI 1253, and the Risk Management Framework (RMF) described in NIST SP 800-37.
• Clearly articulate requirements and other information in written documentation and effectively communicate technical and non-technical concepts to a variety of audiences.
• Broad understanding or knowledge of risk management practices and security program development including change management, access control, and physical security.
• Direct experience involving configuration, deployment, and administration of network appliances, operating systems, and databases.
• Demonstrated excellent technical skills in one or more focus areas (i.e. networking, messaging support (Exchange), Active Directory, system administration, etc.).
• Demonstrated strong organizational and time-management skills: multitasking, working individually and with a team, having a positive attitude, being self-motivated and reliable, being trustworthy, having strong interpersonal and diplomatic skills, and being able to handle stress in a professional manner.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office.
• Hands-on experience with and knowledge of IT security architecture and design (e.g., firewalls, intrusion detection systems, virtual private networking, virus protection technologies, LAN/WAN design, and/or general internetworking technologies).
• Broad understanding of risk management practices and security program development including change management, access control, and physical security.
• Broad IP network and security engineering experience including a basic understanding of IP routing, quality of service mechanisms, MPLS, and IPsec architectures.
• Hands on system administration experience with various operating systems including Windows, AIX, BSD, z/OS, RHEL, SUSE, HPUX, QNX, etc.
• Hands on system administration experience with DB2, MS SQL, Oracle, Sybase, etc.
• Experience with various programming languages.
• Experience with system development lifecycles (SDLCs).
• Experience with change management processes.
Clearance Requirement: SECRET (Active) with the ability to obtain a TOP SECRET clearance.