Our client, a growing systems integrator in Arlington, VA is seeking a Director of IT to support their Federal client portfolio.
We are looking for a customer-facing Director of IT to lead overall technical vision for IT solutions for our customers by designing, describing, and managing engineering in relation to specific business problems. The ideal candidate will have the skills and experience to understand our customers' business and technical needs and design modern, sustainable IT solutions and explore technology architecture boundaries. The Director of IT will support three of their Business Practices: Corporate IT Support, IT Department Lead, and IT Solutions Planning and supporting Business Development.
Duties and Responsibilities
Corporate IT Support member of the Executive Team representing all IT interests and operations
IT Department Lead overseeing the IT department, personnel, and contractors in day-to-day IT operations
- Support Corporate IT architecture, practices and solutions.
- Assist the COO in setting and tracking objectives, measures, and metrics
- Represent the Company in IT/Technical meetings with customers, and business/product owners and partners
- Ensure adherence to Corporate IT and quality management processes
- Maintain Corporate standards documentation in accordance with CMMI3-Dev, and ISO guidelines
- Direct and oversee Information Security Management and Federal/Industry Security architecture, regulations and controls (i.e., FISMA, NIST, FIPS, FEDRAMP, etc.).
- Assist in recruiting, hiring, and training new IT staff personnel and consultants/SMEs
- Continually research current and emerging technologies and proposing technology insertion for projects.
IT Solutions Planning and Business Development Support
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of the IT Department and IT personnel/contractors.
- Lead IT department planning, set goals/objectives
- Analyze financial information and develop IT budgets and cost estimates
- Help resolve technical problems/issues
- Communicate IT solutions to developers
- Occasional hands-on coding, e.g., to test proofs of concept
- Assist in conducting code reviews to ensure quality control
- Discussing any technical limitations or abilities with business analysts when needed
Required Skills and Experience
- Define technical solutions for current and potential business opportunities.
- Assess current architectures and work with technical teams to define "To Be" goal state.
- Assess the business impact that technical choices have on the overall solution.
- Provide specifications according to which solutions are defined, managed, and delivered
- Work with company managers and technology leaders to craft reusable enterprise solution approaches and technologies
- Lead and contribute on technical writing assignments with department/project managers and on Business Development proposal efforts
Desired Skills and Experience
- 7-10 years of experience working on software/systems development projects including three years in architecture, design deploying enterprise applications in cloud platforms
- Extensive experience with demonstratable success in the Federal Government marketspace
- Solid understanding of large-scale, high-performance enterprise application deployment and solution architecture on complex heterogeneous environments
- Knowledge of current mainstream solution architectures, including cloud-based solutions and cloud migration
- Solid understanding of leading-edge technologies to offer smart solutions to customers
- Proven experience in engineering and software architecture design
- Strong experience in application modernization, refactoring, and migration approaches to transition applications workloads from On-Premise to Cloud (AWS preferred).
- Ability to effectively articulate solutions (verbally and in writing) and discuss business problems with customers and senior management positively influencing outcomes
- Experience participating in proposal development efforts and leading the technical volume of solutions development.
- Must have extensive technical writing experience
- Strong understanding and working experience of Agile methodologies and DevSecOps frameworks
- Technical skills of a software developer and the business skills of a project manager or business analyst
- Ability to identify and document business processes
- Strong working experience in developing enterprise web applications using Java or Microsoft technologies
- Experience working with a multi-disciplinary team of analysts, data scientists, developers, and users to comprehend data requirements and design a robust data processing pipeline, implementing ETL processes, and developing data and metadata service components
- Experience with various operating system and relational database management systems
- Ability to research and make recommendations on software products and services in support of procurement and development efforts
- Experience with Enterprise Architecture frameworks including FEA, TOGAF and DoDAF
Education and Certifications
- Previous project management experience
- Business Intelligence solutions
- Data Analytics, Machine Learning solutions (Cloudera desired)
- Scalable SQL Query solutions (Apache Impala desired)
- Agile enterprise/program teams (Scrum, SAFe, etc.) preferred
- Big Data Solutions Enterprise Data Warehouse design, implementation, and integration
- Familiarity with the use of Databricks
- Familiarity with the application of blockchain technology to predictive analytics
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Technology Management or Engineering, or other IT related degree. Master's degree preferred
- AWS Solutions Architect Professional preferred
- Azure/GCP certifications preferred